Graded Discussion Forum 5

The distinctive roles of the tutor in the open distance and online learning environments.

The distinctive roles of the tutor in the open distance and online learning environments.

by Jessica Azeez -
Number of replies: 2

It is my understanding that because online learning uses structures such as LMS e.g. Blackboard, Moodle etc., the most important role of the online tutor to be ever present. Some ways a tutor can be present is by giving guidance on activities, giving feedback on student work and engaging in forum discussions. Now, in the traditional ODL where tutorial is done through a mediated format, usually by mail, teleconferencing or computer conferencing, audiocassettes or radio, the tutor's primary task is to facilitate the learning of the materials that are intended to 'teach'. This includes explaining and clarifying, exploring issues and giving feedback to the learner.

The online tutor is required to communicate effectively, be responsive and monitor learning. They should possess some level of technical and administrative skills. They should provide support and give informative feedback. 

In my capacity as an online support staff, my responsibilities are to ensure students and staff have access to their Moodle and CPCE email accounts. I give support by assisting with initial set up and providing the necessary information needed for access. My responsibilities requires me to communicate effectively with students and to have some technical and monitoring skills.

In reply to Jessica Azeez

Re: The distinctive roles of the tutor in the open distance and online learning environments.

by Beatrice Okoth -
Hello Jessica,
Thanks for clearly summarizing the roles of the online tutor: communicate effectively, be responsive and monitor learning. It is now clear to you that the tutor needs your timely intervention as you set up and issue credentials to learners and to give continuous technical support where necessary.
Regards,
Beatrice
In reply to Jessica Azeez

Re: The distinctive roles of the tutor in the open distance and online learning environments.

by Kevaun Sears -
This post demonstrates that you have a very good understanding of the roles of both tutors, and this is critical for you to function effectively in giving support. If you have misconceptions about what each of these tutors and their learners need, then you may be working but not necessarily fulfilling your role.
I am very pleased with this.