Graded Discussion Forum 5

Roles

Roles

by Kevaun Sears -
Number of replies: 0

The online tutor differs from the traditional ODL tutor in the way they interact with their learners. The online tutor has the ability to provide immediate feedback, interact with the learner while they are engaged, monitor the learner as they engage throughout the course and to respond to queries if they arise. On the other hand, the traditional ODL tutor has to rely on the materials provided to do all of these things, while they may have the periodic opportunity to meet or engage the learners. Feedback is not timely, nor is the engagement in this setting often 2-sided.

An online tutor can be the designer of a course or use an existing course to provide instruction. However, he/she will be responsible for ensuring their students are enrolled in the LMS, monitoring the learners' access to the course, reviewing and revising course content if necessary, grading assessments and providing feedback that will help the learner to improve their understanding of the material, providing opportunities for the learners to collaborate on tasks and provide non-academic support to the learner during the delivery of a course if the need arises.

In my administrative position, I give attention to the extent to which the faculty monitor the learners and provide assistance or seek it through my office. I also work with my team to ensure that we provide opportunities for some social activities virtually to foster relations among the learners in the different locations.