Discussion Forum 9

Creating a community

Creating a community

by Hannah Jagroop -
Number of replies: 1

Some  activities that I may use to help create a community between my distant learners and my learners and the community are:

1. Community of practice (CoP) - this community offers students chances to share knowledge, work together on projects, and learn from one another. Some tools that I can use to build this community are study groups and gamified learning platforms such as Kahoot. 

2. Online residential learning communities - an online residential learning community can unite students with common hobbies, professions, or academic objectives from different geographical regions. Some tools that I can use to build this community are discussion forums, video conferencing, and collaborative workspaces. 

In reply to Hannah Jagroop

Re: Creating a community

by Beatrice Okoth -
Hello Hannah,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. What has caught my attention is the word 'residential' amomg online learning communities. What does this entail? Does it mean coming to reside in college for sometime?
Yes, community of practice brings people in a specific field of study together. It could involve experts from the industry, alumni etc. working together with your distance learners in a project. Various virtual tools, as you have indicated could facilitate the collaboration. Don't you think this would be more enriching?
Regards,
Beatrice