Graded Discussion Forum 8

CPCE |Improvement in Service delivery to a distant Learner

CPCE |Improvement in Service delivery to a distant Learner

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -
Number of replies: 1

•  State the particular docket e.g., Library, IT, Registrar, faculty, student counselling etc.
  • Describe, in details, the innovation and why you think it will improve learner support service. 
  • Explain whether it entails policy change or change in practice- standard operating procedures etc.
  • Any other relevant information.
    As a support staff in the registration unit where my role is pivotal as it relates to the support given to Teacher candidates who are distant learner; I would suggest the provision of detailed standard operating procedures (SOP's). Operating procedures as it is gives any organization and visitors a sense of clarity as to the who is responsible for what and where what is, and methodology of actions, having clear standards operating procedures will give each teacher candidate insight that they really understand the noble institution they are a part of and know exactly who they have to contact for what and thus they will avoid unnecessary run around. Another initiative is the suggestion of general in advance notices of all college activities such as Semester starting and ending, breaks and examination dates and locations; having these available to all students reduces the anxiety of teacher candidates and would aid them in enjoying their time at the college. Thirdly I would suggest frequently asked questions (FAQ's) posters for teacher candidates across the country, such FAQ's will provide guidance in the necessary steps to take when requesting leave of absence, sick leave, programme switch, course repeat, Centre transfers, examination issues amongst others. These are known by the college and staff and is even repeated during orientation but having something accessible to go to when necessary is important. Also, an online/ media or Jargon dictionary, this will get new teacher candidates familiar with the college lingo, such as their course codes, in-service & pre-service, modality, specialization etc., having a go to Jargon dictionary will assist them as they get familiar with the terms and definition used regularly and eliminate any confusion. And finally I would suggest 24 hours follow up with teacher candidates when an inquiry is made to ensure satisfaction, doing so will help them to feel cared for and not taken for granted or alone.

In reply to Dawn Newsum-Hiles

Re: CPCE |Improvement in Service delivery to a distant Learner

by Beatrice Okoth -
Dear Dawn,
This is very informative!
You have given suggestion, some with policy implications, which when implemented can definitely improve the operations in your sector, and finally lead to overall learner satisfaction and success.
Cheers,
Beatrice