Graded Discussion Forum 8

My plan to improve service delivery to the distant and online learner.

My plan to improve service delivery to the distant and online learner.

by Jessica Azeez -
Number of replies: 2

I am a Data Processing Operator/Online Support Staff attached to the Registration Unit at The Cyril Potter College of Education. Orientation at CPCE is delivered both face to face and virtually. Some areas that are covered in the face to face orientation sessions are Introductions of administrative and support staff, the College's Organizational Structure and the Rules & Regulations of the College. Other areas such as the Learning Management System (Moodle) Orientations are conducted virtually. As part of the orientation team it is of my opinion that more emphasis can be placed on Program Overview. The number of courses/modules, credit hours and how they are sequenced. I believe certain adjustments made by administration in this area can bring about more clarity and less confusion thus improving our service delivery to the distant and online learner. 

This innovation will require a change in practice since the information regarding courses/modules, credit hours and sequencing is usually given to students post orientation. We can distribute this information via hardcopy handouts during our face to face orientation sessions.

In my view this innovation will eliminate many course queries because our students will be adequately informed from inception and they will have more confidence in themselves and in the College.

In reply to Jessica Azeez

Re: My plan to improve service delivery to the distant and online learner.

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -
The service plan outlined above is indeed an excellent one if initiated it can benefit the teacher candidates. This tool will equip them with the information they need to reduce any anxiety they may have with regards to their introduction to this noble institution.
In reply to Jessica Azeez

Re: My plan to improve service delivery to the distant and online learner.

by Beatrice Okoth -
DearvJessica,
Thanks for your briliant suggestion regarding access to 'programme overview' information. Have you considered having a page in your LMS dedicated to programme information? Here you can upload soft copies and do explanation to learners. This page can be updated regularly as changes arise.
This then becomes one of the virtual spaces learners are exposed to during virtual orientation. Such spaces then become there go- to places whenever necessary in the course of their studies.
Regards,
Beatrice