Graded Discussion Forum 5

Differences and Roles of an Online Tutor and ODL Tutor

Differences and Roles of an Online Tutor and ODL Tutor

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -
Number of replies: 1

1. What are the differences between an online tutor and that of traditional ODL?
There are several differences between online tutor and an open distant learner:
A traditional ODL Tutor provides guidance with direction & explanation of concepts while an online tutor uses scaffolding to individualize the learning process.
A traditional ODL Tutor provides feedback to students while a tutor may have to develop technical self-efficacy skills to provide informative feedback.

2. Discuss the responsibilities of an online tutor in a course?
-To communicate with the students effectively 
-Deliver Content - clearly and informative 
-Provide feedback- in a timely manner.
-Assessing the content of Students- weather it's an assessment, a forum post, a presentation or group discussion.
-Having Administrative Skill set

3. How do these compare with the responsibilities you have been undertaking in your course, or the practice in your institution?
I am currently a support staff my main function is to provide feedback to student's quires; however, this course has help me tremendously to see the need to improve my technical skills to assist the Teacher candidates and make sure I am informed to give them the necessary assistance.

In reply to Dawn Newsum-Hiles

Re: Differences and Roles of an Online Tutor and ODL Tutor

by Beatrice Okoth -
Hello Dawn,
Glad to learn that you have understood the role of the online tutor because this will help you integrate your role with that of the tutor in order to enhance integrated learner support. It's equally good that you have identified ways to improve your service delivery to the online learner.
Regards,
Beatrice