Discussion Forum 2

Opinion of a Support Staff

Re: Responsibilities and Innovations to Inprove

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -
Number of replies: 0

As a support staff member of the Registration unit, my role in supporting open and distant learners is crucial in facilitating a smooth and effective learning experience. I am primarily tasked with assisting Teacher candidates by addressing inquiries and providing guidance throughout their academic journey. Here's how I fulfill my responsibilities:

1. Assisting with Inquiries:

• I address various inquiries from Teacher candidates, offering support and information as needed.
    • I connect them with their respective lecturers, ensuring effective communication channels are established.
  2. Guiding through Login Processes:

• I guide Teacher candidates through the login processes for both Moodle and CPCE emails.
    • Instead of just providing instructions, I actively assist them as they complete the login process, ensuring they are comfortable and confident with the procedures.
  3. Interactive Guidance:

• During the login process, I ask questions to ensure they understand each step clearly.
    • By engaging in interactive guidance, I aim to enhance their understanding and competence in handling login procedures independently.
  4. Addressing Potential Issues:

• I provide insights into potential issues, such as what to do if they forget their password.
    • I offer guidance on how to get in touch with their lecturers, ensuring a proactive approach to problem-solving.
  5. Feedback Mechanism:

• I actively seek feedback from Teacher candidates to understand their experience and identify areas for improvement.
    • This feedback loop is essential for continuous improvement, allowing me to refine my support methods and address any challenges faced by the learners.

To improve my role further, I would consider implementing the following:

• Interactive Workshops or Tutorials:

• Conducting interactive workshops or tutorials to provide hands-on training for Teacher candidates, ensuring they are well-versed in the login processes.
  • Regular Information Sessions:

• Hosting regular information sessions to address common issues, share tips, and keep learners informed about updates and changes in the online learning platforms.
  • Developing Resource Guides:

• Creating comprehensive resource guides that Teacher candidates can refer to independently, covering topics such as password recovery, contacting lecturers, and troubleshooting common issues.
  • Implementing a Helpdesk System:

• Establishing a helpdesk system to streamline communication and support, allowing Teacher candidates to easily reach out for assistance when needed.

By incorporating these improvements, I aim to enhance the overall support system for open and distant learners, making their educational journey more seamless and enjoyable.