Discussion Forum 2

Opinion of a Support Staff

Opinion of a Support Staff

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -
Number of replies: 2

Responses are as follows:

• Describe your role in supporting the open and distant learner? As a support staff member of the Registration unit: I am tasked with assisting the Teacher candidates with any inquires, this includes but is not limited to connecting them with their various lecturers and guiding them through their login for both Moodle and their CPCE  emails.
    How would you improve your role?
  •  Not just give them the instruction on how to login but guide them through the process as they themselves complete the process.
  • Ask questions to ensure they understand clearly. 
  • Give insight as to what would happen should they forget their password or did not get in touch with their lecturers.
  • Ask for feedback from them.

In reply to Dawn Newsum-Hiles

Re: Opinion of a Support Staff

by Beatrice Okoth -
Thank you, Dawn, for sharing with us how you plan to improve the efficiency of service to students in your docket.
Cheers,
Beatrice
In reply to Dawn Newsum-Hiles

Re: Responsibilities and Innovations to Inprove

by Dawn Newsum-Hiles -

As a support staff member of the Registration unit, my role in supporting open and distant learners is crucial in facilitating a smooth and effective learning experience. I am primarily tasked with assisting Teacher candidates by addressing inquiries and providing guidance throughout their academic journey. Here's how I fulfill my responsibilities:

1. Assisting with Inquiries:

• I address various inquiries from Teacher candidates, offering support and information as needed.
    • I connect them with their respective lecturers, ensuring effective communication channels are established.
  2. Guiding through Login Processes:

• I guide Teacher candidates through the login processes for both Moodle and CPCE emails.
    • Instead of just providing instructions, I actively assist them as they complete the login process, ensuring they are comfortable and confident with the procedures.
  3. Interactive Guidance:

• During the login process, I ask questions to ensure they understand each step clearly.
    • By engaging in interactive guidance, I aim to enhance their understanding and competence in handling login procedures independently.
  4. Addressing Potential Issues:

• I provide insights into potential issues, such as what to do if they forget their password.
    • I offer guidance on how to get in touch with their lecturers, ensuring a proactive approach to problem-solving.
  5. Feedback Mechanism:

• I actively seek feedback from Teacher candidates to understand their experience and identify areas for improvement.
    • This feedback loop is essential for continuous improvement, allowing me to refine my support methods and address any challenges faced by the learners.

To improve my role further, I would consider implementing the following:

• Interactive Workshops or Tutorials:

• Conducting interactive workshops or tutorials to provide hands-on training for Teacher candidates, ensuring they are well-versed in the login processes.
  • Regular Information Sessions:

• Hosting regular information sessions to address common issues, share tips, and keep learners informed about updates and changes in the online learning platforms.
  • Developing Resource Guides:

• Creating comprehensive resource guides that Teacher candidates can refer to independently, covering topics such as password recovery, contacting lecturers, and troubleshooting common issues.
  • Implementing a Helpdesk System:

• Establishing a helpdesk system to streamline communication and support, allowing Teacher candidates to easily reach out for assistance when needed.

By incorporating these improvements, I aim to enhance the overall support system for open and distant learners, making their educational journey more seamless and enjoyable.